Saturday, 21 March 2009

Floodplain views - the rising river

Every day, en route to work, we choose to take the scenic road down the hill and enjoy the view out over the beautiful Chobe river floodplain.

View from the top of the hill, just before descending to river level. Neighbouring country Namibia is on the other side.
I find that a good start and mood for the day is highly encouraged by simply appreciating this beautiful view (and baobab) while driving down to our destination at river bank level.
Right now it's time for our annual floods to arrive, and it seems that exceptionally high levels are expected this year. Huge amounts of water are coming down from Angola, and other catchment areas, as we are part of the great Zambezi river system.

The Chobe river suddenly transforms from a meandering blue ribbon, obediently following its channel through the green floodplain, into massive sheets of water which spread out and cover the flat basin with a shimmering, reflective surface. As one can imagine, this watery sheet has the ability to take on any number of colours and moods, according to the state of the sky above it, and this makes for some incredible sunsets. More on that in future posts, I'm sure!

Last Sunday we took a few photos of the advancing floodwaters entering the floodplain.

Above is last Sunday's photo of the floodplain. Below is today's photo (Saturday) from the same spot.This water seems to have appeared almost overnight, and it is still rising!
On Sunday afternoon, we also took a walk along the river's edge at Chobe Safari Lodge. While marvelling at the high water level, we heard a loud water spraying sound emerging from some partially submerged trees right nearby.
Soon afterwards, a long, dark, submarine-shaped body emerged vertically from the water - followed rapidly not by a periscope, but by a pair of flapping hippo ears! Two hippos were in the area, so we stayed around to take some photos of them - one of which graced my previous blog post.

Hippos are fascinating creatures to watch in the water. One minute a hippo is there, and the next, it's gone. While they are underwater, you are never entirely sure where they are going to surface next, and this can be slightly alarming!
I have the greatest respect for these animals, as they can be extremely dangerous, and I've heard it said that hippos account for more deaths in the African river enviroment than crocodiles. Even though they are vegetarians, their sheer size and power, coupled with the most enormous teeth means that they can cause a lot of damage. Apparently the big hippo "yawn", is actually a sign of aggression! Even though we are surrounded by wildlife here, we never lose sight of the fact that they are completely wild creatures in their natural environment...
Hippo in the very wide, flooded river near submerged trees
Watch this space for more flood images in the not too distant future, and in the meantime, happy weekend greetings from my grey, cloudy, watery world...

17 comments:

  1. Wow Hippos near you. Unbelievable, that you have them as neighbours.
    I've got badgers and foxes and the occasional rabbit, but it doesn't compare really.... LOL
    Wonderful pics and what a drive to work. Will you still be able to use it in the floods?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grey, cloudy, watery world is absolutely wonderful. I've got a marathon in my neighborhood today. Runners, sweatshirts, hats and gloves filling the streets. Interesting and somewhat uncommon but they're no hippos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, what an amazing place you live in. You are blessed to have such an inspiring journey to work and such interesting neighbours!

    Thanks for sharing these delightful pics and peeks into your now watery world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! We get a rainy season here, but you guys are on a whole different level.

    LOVE the last picture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a hippo in person, and the pictures I've seen usually show them in the water. Is it rare to see them our of water?

    I prefer window seat whenever I travel. Watching landscapes go by lifts the spirit.

    The sunsets must be truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hippos. And baobabs. Thanks for this. Just the muti I needed. And thanks so much (belatedly) for the award. I've not had much computer time lately, but many thanks for the acknowledgements. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Word veri: fearchon. The feeling you get when a hippo disappears and then surfaces a little too close for comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how much the water level has changed in only one weeks time.

    NO hippos here either, just a bunch of St. Patrick's week end festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When the waters come...Do you avoid the plains, do you wait for them to recede, what?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm going to stop reading your blog. I get too jealous!!

    I heard that one of the Bots rivers that hasn't seen water for 20years is flowing. Do you know which one it is? Somewhere in Central Kgalagadi I think?

    Your pics are fab!

    J = jealous, not Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a different world from the one I'm used to.

    Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how interesting Karen. I love how you show the difference in water levels, almost watching it rise! I love the hippo pics and the one in your previous post that your husband took. Hippos are cute.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures, Karen, and welcome info as we plan to be there in the next few months.

    We were wondering if you would please tell us how the campground and campground bar at Chobe Safari Lodge are doing with the flooding?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi FB, yes that tar road is high enough above the river.. i can see the levels rising from the office, though.

    Kristin, I like your uncommon marathon atmosphere!

    Rob, glad you always enjoy it. Right now this blog is going to be similar to yours with the snow reports!

    Rae, thanks, glad you enjoyed the hippo!

    Anil, sometimes the hippos are just lying around on land, or half on land, doing nothing. Other times they walk around grazing (especially at night) and the sheer size of them is quite a shock!

    Tam, thanks for the Fearchon word veri, and glad you enjoyed some wild river magic!

    Ziongirl, yes it's amazing, and more water today again!

    LV, on the Namibian side, and some of the riversides in Botswana further in from us, villagers are being evacuated. Boats can still use the floodplain area, though you now drive right over the islands...

    Janet, I'll find out - maybe the Boteti - does that sound right?

    SJW, yes, it's an incredible contrast to your world, isn't it..

    Lori - if I don't restrain myself, you could be getting daily flood pics, as I find it so fascinating...

    Hi R & L - last Sunday the water was almost up to the level of Sedudu Bar and it was closed. I'm sure it must be flooded by now. But in a few months' time the worst of it will have receded. (We had to cancel our trip to Ngepi this coming weekend, alas!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh jealous of your grey watery world....mine still dry white hot bare brown and dusty....hideous...LOVE hippos...! xxx j

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful words to accompany those superb images, Karen. You do bring us such magical moments to share with you from your faraway Border Town.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Janelle & Tessa. Sometimes I find my blog helps me remember how lucky I am to live here, when I actually write about how amazing it is - otherwise I might be tempted to be complaining about being stuck in one place for such a long time!

    ReplyDelete