I have an ongoing fascination with elephant footprints - crinkly, wrinkly ovals in the soft sand, replicating the contours of their foot soles.
Last time I wrote about this, there was no scale to show the size of the prints, and people were curious, so I've been needing another photo opportunity...
A couple of weeks ago en route to one of the weddings, we overnighted at Elephant Sands Lodge, near Nata.
Footprint maker...
The elephants covered the vehicle tracks overnight....
Even though the sand was icy cold at six on a cold May morning, and I had no shoes on...
...I stepped inside one for a photo. (My foot is about a size 5 UK shoe size, if that helps!)
It's an awesome feeling to take a walk in their tracks, and I like to attempt striding from one footprint to the next, even if this does result in some fairly undignified leaping behaviour!
On the way out, we saw miniature, perfectly formed baby elephant footprints, but we couldn't lose our momentum in the thick sand, so I was unable to capture them this time. Watch this proverbial space!
Warm African weekend greetings to all reading this
I love the comparision it just puts it all into perspective.
ReplyDeleteAlthough don't why I'm surprised I've ridden on an elephant in Sri Lanka many yers ago.
Greetings and love back to you from a wet and cold England!
xx
How cool!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! What a wonderful way to show perspective Karen, and I would happily leap right beside you walking the ellie walk!
ReplyDeleteI hope you bundled right back up, but I do appreciate you disrobing for this photo op ☺
word veri : ploptini
haha, could this be a version of an elephant inspired martini, amarula + vodka?
love it!!
ReplyDeleteSensational post, Karen! Your feet look so small inside the elephant footprint. The image was reassuring, motherly even.
ReplyDeleteDo you realize where you live? Are you fully aware of your fortunate whereabouts? The evening waterhole, the Elephant Lodge, walking barefoot in the icy dawn sand, baby elephants... And that sky.
Do you count your blessings and thank Heaven on a daily basis? If I were you, I would.
It is only when one steps into their footmarks doe one get a real sense of how big they really are.
ReplyDeleteIt must feel humbling to compare the footprints, to see wild life all around and be part of the bigger world.
ReplyDeleteI knew elephant feet were big, but this shows just how big they are in a clear way. Amazing! Thanks for sacrificing your foot comfort in the ice-cold wet sand to show us.
ReplyDeleteWow! That puts it all in perspective. I wonder if they are as fascinated with your footprints? :)
ReplyDeleteI would leap along with you and Lori from one footstep to the next! How gorgeous! I wish I could listen to an elephant.
ReplyDeleteThank you for that! I love to see the elephant prints. It would be really cool to walk where they had walked.
ReplyDelete