Thursday, 15 January 2009

Traffic and Pedestrians

A few days ago, driving home from work, the car ahead of me slowed down - hazard lights flashing. We both stopped and waited for a leisurely band of elephants to amble their way across the road in front of us. They were in absolutely no hurry, and seemed supremely confident (with good reason) that we were going to wait there for as long as it took them to get to the other side.
Amazing how large an elephant looks when you are in a tiny green car, whose driver's seat is almost at road level! It really is a humbling experience to look up at the plodding, wrinkled legs and gently swaying undercarriages of these unlikely traffic obstacles! 
They really don't seem to mind encountering us on the roads during their walks to and from the river, which never ceases to amaze me. Every now and again, one of them will direct a gentle, rolling head/ear shake in the direction of the vehicles on the road, as if to remind us lowly humans that they could... if they just wanted to.... load us and our silly little tin boxes up onto their tusks like a forklift.... I always have the greatest respect for them while on the road, and no matter how serene and friendly they are, I always breathe a sigh of relief, tinged with awe once they've actually crossed over! 
For an older post about other encounters with elephants have a look here.

Highway Elephants - rainy season
Warthogs roam freely through the town, mainly on the bottom road which parallels the Chobe river.  In the mornings, if you're unlucky enough to coincide with the government workers' "rush hour",  it is not unknown to sit in a traffic jam (in Kasane, about 6 cars), with all vehicles flashing orange lights while waiting for a lone warthog or family of warthogs to cross over!
Last week, how I wished my camera had been accessible. An entire family of hogs ventured onto a proper pedestrian crossing in front of me. Therefore I followed the rules of the road and stopped while they demurely trotted across the road in single file - mother first, piglets behind, tails pertly vertical! I was the only car on the road at the time and could have had enough time to snap a photo, as I know it sounds a likely tale which seems to require some sort of proof!  It really was a delightful experience, in any case!

Town warthog family - just passing by...

17 comments:

  1. ah love the new blog look! and OH LOVE LOVE LOVE the rainy season skies...PLEASE BLOW THEM THIS SIDE!!!! desperate for rain...oh and the ellies are cool too. lots love xxx j

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely - cant wait to get back there! like being stuck in thorn bushes here xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful report of pedestrians, large and small. The picture you conjured up for us of the warthogs is priceless. Abbey Road in Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pedestrian report!

    I know what you mean though about remembering that elephants can be really dangerous. I watched, a while back in Kruger, as some &^%$wit in a little golf harrassed three huge bulls. The ellies really didn't want to pick a fight but they were getting seriously hacked off as this twit just kept nudging them along the road. I just happened to be in the oncoming direction. When I saw how those ears were flapping and trunks were swaying, I quietly turned the car around and headed away. When I came back fifteen minutes later the golf had gone and the ellies were grazing peaceably in the bush. It's not that difficult to respect them and yet you wonder why some people just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, An elephant crossing, over here we have things called zebra crossings but they only relate to the road being painted white and black!! But real elephants.... unbelievable.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photo! This post is a great little slice of life to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh great Karen! I love your description, those ellies do deserve our utmost respect, beautiful gentle giants! one time while driving our own car between several camps on the S.A. Botswana border, we had an encounter similar. The advice given to us was of course show respect, wait for the elephants to move on their own accord and never,never back up.I guess they could think it a game and back you up to the next country if they want! It was unnerving to sit watching and feeling really really tiny.
    xxx lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic place you live in! This is such a sane encounter with nature, as opposed to the plane that just went down in NYC after trying to fly through a flock of geese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. janelle - will do a sort of rain/blow/dance for you, ok? :-)

    val- c'mon, need that coffee & a sugarpacket reading session again!

    tessa, glad you enjoyed the hogs - even without photographic evidence!

    Vanilla - dreadful sight in kruger. what goes through people's minds to do that????!!!!

    yes FireByrd, really real wild ellies, and i never get used to the awesomeness of this either!

    Rae, thanks..keep checking for more african slices!

    Lori,yes - you know exactly what it's like!!

    Barbara, yes it is a very special place - quite a contrast! I have to just say here, that there are of course the awful and undeniable conflicts between humans and wildlife round here, too.. but for now, i just write about the happy stuff (i'm a real coward! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog so that I could find yours. I have always been fascinated by Botswana ever since I read the 'Ladies First Detective Agency' series by Alexander McCall Smith featuring Mma Ramotswe - have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos of the Elephants and the picture I have of the Warthogs on the crossing. So special to be inconvenienced by such beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen,

    Thanks for your kind words regarding my new blog. If only I had elephants and other wildlife to write about! What a wonderful piece of the planet you inhabit!
    Elephants are one of my faves among the variety of life. I saw a nature program series on them and promptly fell in love!

    Are there any charitable efforts in your area on behalf of elephants who have lost their mothers or been injured?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came through Pink Dogwoods site to find yours. Wow - what an interesting blog. How very different your life is to mine. I shall look forward to reading all about life in Botswana.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pink Dogwood & Tilly, nice to have you visiting here! Yes, I've read most of the No 1 Ladies' Detective novels! Another Botswana book i've enjoyed recently is "20 Chickens for a Saddle" by Robyn Scott...

    Thanks Rob, a bit of africa for the cold folks in the N. hemi!

    Barbara, there aren't really any elephant organisations as far as I know in this area, the Wildlife Dept takes care of all incidents the wild ones.. we have the Botswana SPCA, will find the weblink for you. and concerned people here in town, and an American private vet who helps the Wildlife dept...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing LOL!! And all I have to be wary of is deer, although they do alot of damage if hit.

    Please send us rain to Okieland, we're desperate, love your new piccie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the photo . I know you must love living there.Thanks so much for sharing this and you friendhsip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. This is my first visit to yours and I am loving it. I can't imagine seeing elephants crossing the road!

    ReplyDelete